Search This Blog

Friday, September 13, 2013

Homemade Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Recipe!

Update:  Caboose has put his official seal of approval on the bread! I also used the same flour mix to bake him a batch of his favorite peanut butter cookies. I really think the tip about refrigerating the cookie dough before baking was a huge success! I simply rolled out the balls of dough, put them on the cookie sheet and stuck them in the refrigerator for a couple hours, then criss-crossed them with the tines of a fork and baked, as usual.  The GF cookies looked and tasted exactly like their original wheat counterparts!I believe the "thumbs up" Caboose gave me while stuffing them into his grinning mouth was a good sign! Now, Mom, what about your Black Bear Brownies, hint hint.  I may have created a monster!
This is the link to the original flour recipe I found: <http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/better-than-cup4cup-gluten-free-flour-blend-d-i-y-how-to/>

    My notes are printed in red:
    Prep time: 10 minutes       Cook time: none       Yield: 580 grams (4 cups + 20 grams) all-purpose GF flour blend

    Ingredients
    80 grams finely ground nonfat dry milk
    180 grams superfine white rice flour
    105 grams cornstarch
    100 grams superfine brown rice flour (I substituted oat flour, which is simply rolled GF oats 
    ground fine in my blender)
    85 grams tapioca starch/flour
    20 grams potato starch 
    10 grams xanthan gum

    Directions
  1. In a blender or food processor, grind the nonfat dry milk into a fine powder. Place all ingredients in a large bowl, and whisk to combine well. Store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use. (I keep mine in a gallon sized zip bag in the refrigerator)
  2. The recipe can be halved or used in multiples easily. Just be sure to whisk fully in a large enough container. It makes a total of 580 grams, which is 20 grams more than 4 cups.



 Weighing the flours when creating this mix is non-negotiable, in my opinion.  It gets the proportions right.  I bought a kitchen scale for less than $10.00 at Wally World and use that.
When using this mix, you can SPOON the mixture into a measuring cup and lightly level it off with a knife, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do you use the cup to scoop it out! Packs the flour down too much and you will end up with a paperweight!
For anyone traveling down the GF path, I wish you much success! Let me know how this recipe works for you!



No comments: